High School Study Abroad programs became popular after World War II, but stared as early as the 17th century in Europe. This programs have the aim of helping to increase the participants' understanding and tolerance of other cultures, as well as improving their language skills and broadening their social horizons.
An exchange student typically stays in the host country for a relatively short period of time, often 6 to 10 months, in contrast to international students or those on study abroad programs which often last for several years.
Two Worlds United High School Study Abroad Philosophy
The future of our world depends on our youth. Young people need experiences in real life which complement their classroom learning and which help them to develop an awareness of their role as world citizens. Opportunities for learning about people must be easily accessible and affordable to a wide range of people.
Experiencing the life of its people is the best way to become acquainted with another country, its heritage and its values. Living with a family provides a warm, secure and relevant setting for experiencing the culture of another country.
Communication is key to understanding the culture. A knowledge of the language people speak, an eagerness to improve communication skills and a curiosity for learning permit a greater level of understanding. The friendships which result from the sharing of family life encourage continued communication, growth and better understanding of other people.
Two Worlds United High School Study Abroad Objectives:
- To promote international understanding through high school study abroad experiences and cultural tour programs. Our goal is to help people discard stereotypes and to discover the present realities of another culture.
- To increase awareness of the importance of understanding other cultures and to stimulate interest in community support of language and global education.
- To offer an opportunity for language students to learn first-hand about the culture of the country whose language they are studying and to improve their communication skills thru the high school study abroad programs.
- To provide well-formulated educational programs which offer affordable opportunities to many students and families.
- To make participation in the High School Study Abroad Programs a rewarding experience for both students and families by providing preparation for participants, organized transportation, and a well-structured support network.